Dr. Fishbein is board certified in gastroenterology. He completed his fellowship at Georgetown University and National Institute of Health, where he authored and co-authored research on management of patients with Zollinger Ellison syndrome and idiopathic hypersecretory state. He has staff and admitting privileges at Saint Barnabas Medical Center.
Dr. Fishbein performs comprehensive cancer screenings for colon cancer and Barrett's esophagus. He performs quality colonoscopy using high definition optical colonoscopy, narrow band imaging to identify early flat lesions in the right colon which could be missed during routine colonoscopy. In difficult cases we use a Water Immersion Colonoscopy technique to complete procedures which decrease pain and sedation amount for patients. We have more then 95% success in reaching the cecum, and most of our patient are clean and fully satisfied with this procedure.
Dr. Fishbein has a special interest in pelvic floor dysfunction including intractable constipation and rectal incontinence, using rectal manometry, biofeedback, rectal ultrasound, Sitzmark study and behavior modification. His office has unique, for New Jersey, esophageal and rectal motility lab with full range of sophisticated equipment including 48 hr PH Bravo, high resolution manometry.
Dr. Fishbein collaborates with top-rated laparoscopic surgeons in the tri-state metropolitan area who perform Nissen fundoplication for management of the Gastroesophageal reflux with full range of preoperative work up required for successful outcome of surgery. He provides expert opinion for management of the difficult cases of Acid, Non acid and Laryngopharyngeal reflux by optimizing therapy with PPI inhibitors by using on demand therapy, or by taking patient off this medication when their role is questionable therefore preventing complication of long term therapy by utilizing 48 hr PH measurements.
Dr. Fishbein has significant experience in treatment of Hepatitis C, using combination therapy in complicated cases, utilizing viral kinetics and genetics in management of patients to decrease or prolong when necessary the length of therapy.
He provides treatment of complicated internal hemorrhoids with use of INFRARED therapy, and rubber band ligation of internal hemorrhoids, utilizing both endoscopic technique and use of novel method of rubber band ligation with CRH O'Regan disposable system.
Dr. Fishbein has unique experience using Videocapsule endoscopy PillCAM for diagnostic evaluation of patients with chronic anemia, obscure GI bleeding, Crohn's disease and small bowel tumors. He collaborats with Vuespan diagnostics services for expert reading of complicated cases. Dr. Fishbein performed and read more then 1000 cases of video capsule which gives him unique expertise in this field.
He has significant experience in treating complicating cases of Inflammatory bowel disease with early use of biologic and immunosupresive therapy.
Dr. Fisbein closely collaborates with the pharmaceutical industry and leading academic centers in the country by participating in ongoing clinical trials in both phase 2 , 3 as well as post marketing clinical trials. He had been a principal investigator in more then 20 clinical trials.
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY/NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF HEALTH, WASHINGTON , D.C, 1990-1993.
SAINT VINCENT HOSPITAL, WORCESTER, MASS;
MOUNT VERNON HOSPITAL, MOUNT VERNON, NY
Lviv Medical University, LVIV Ukraine
Board certified in Gastroenterology
Fellow of American College of Gastroenterology
Member of American Medical Association
Member of American College of Physicians
Member of American Gastroenterology Association
Saint Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, NJ
- 1. Fishbein VA, Norton J, Benya RV, Pisegna JR, Metz DC,Jensen RT. Assessment and prediction of long-term cure in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: A prospective study of the best approach. Ann Int Med . 1993;119. 3: 199-206.
- 2. Fishbein VA, Rosen A, Lack EE, Montgomery EA, Fleischer D. Diffuse hemorrhagic gastroenteropathy. Report of new entity. Gastroenterology 1994; 106: 500-505.
- 3. V.A. Fishbein, D.H. Coy, S. J. Hogart, N.Z. Jiang, R.T. Jensen. A Chimeric VIP-PACAP Analogue but not VIP Pseudopeptides function as VIP Receptor antagonists. Peptides. 15; 95-100: 1994
- 4. Metz DC, Pisegna JR, Fishbein VA, Benya RV, Jensen RT. The control of gastric acid hypersecretion in the management of patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. World J Surg 1993;17:468-80
- 5. Benya RV, Metz DC, Norton JA, Fishbein VA, Pisegna JR, Jensen RT. The utility of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) inthe evaluation of gastric and duodenal nodules in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.(ZES). Am J Gastroenterology. 2;1993
- 6. Metz DC, Pisegna JR, Fishbein VA, Benya RV, Feigenbaum KM, Koviack PD, Jensen RT. Currently used doses of omeprazole in the management of gastric acid hypersecretion in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome are too high. Gastroenterology , 11: 1992
- 7. Sugg SL, Norton JA, Fraker DL, Metz DC, Pisegna JR, Fishbein VA, Benya RV, Shawker TH, Doppman JL, Jensen RT: A prospective study of intraoperative methods to find and resect duodenal gastrinomas. Ann of Surgery 218:138-144; 1993.
- 8. Metz DC, Benya RV, Fishbein VA, Pisegna JR, Norton JA, Jensen RT: Prospective study of the need for long-term antisecretory therapy in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome following successful curative gastrinoma resection. Gastroenterology 1992 (submitted)
- 9. Pisegna JR, Slimak GG, Metz DC, Fishbein VA, Jensen RT et al.: Human recombinant interferon in patients with metastatic gastrinoma: A prospective study. Gastroenterology 1993;105:1179-1183
- 10. Knihgt M, Takahashi K, Burke TR, Pineda JD, Fishbein VA, Jensen RT and Moody TW. : Synthesis and biological activity of cholecystokinin antagonists. in Growth Factors, Peptides and Receptors. Editted by Terry W. Moody. Plenum Publishing Co., New York. N.Y. 1994
- 11. Metz DC, Pisegna JR, Fishbein VA, Benya RV, Jensen RT: Ranitidine withdrawal after succesful surgical resection in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Gastroenterology 1994
- 12. Benya RV, Metz DC, Venzon DJ, Fishbein VA, Strader DB, Orbuch M, Jensen RT : Gastrinoma can be the initial presentation for patients with Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Type I (MEN-1). American Journal of Medicine 97: 5; 436-444
- 13. Strader DB, Orbuch M, Fishbein VA, Benya RV, Benjamin SB, Lubensky I, Jensen RT, Metz DC: Esophageal Function and Occurence of Barrett's Esophagus in Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome. Digestion 1995: 56:347-356.
- 14. H.C. Weber, D.J. Venzon, Fishbein VA, Strader DB, Orbuch M, F. Gibril, Jensen RT: Determinants of metastatic rate and survival in patients with Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (ZES): Results of prospective long-term study. Gastroenterology 1995;108:1637-1649
- 15. Orbuch M., Doppman Jl, Strader DB, Fishbein VA, Benya RV, Metz DC, Jensen RT.: Imaging for paancreatic endocrine Tumor Localization: Recent advances in Endocrine Tumors of the Pancreatis. Ed. Mignon M, Jensen RT. Front Gastrointstinal Res. Basel, Karger, 1995, vol 23, p268-281.
- 16. Strader DB, Doppman Jl, Orbuch M., Fishbein VA, Benya RV, Jensen RT.: Functional localization of pancreatic endocrine tumors. In: Mignon M, Jensen RT, eds. Endocrine Tumors of The Pancreas: Recent advances in Research and Management. New York: Karger;1995: 282-97